Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Parents--Just Relax!

As a mother of 4, I know the desire for that perfect portrait. All smiling perfectly, behaving wonderfully for the photographer. But the more stressed you are, the more stresssed your children will be. Let me take the lead on getting them relaxed and looking at me.

If I am doing individual portraits and you aren't liking the cheesy smile, DON'T tell them to "say cheese." Take a walk if you need to, but the worst thing you can do is threaten them to smile. I will talk to them, ask questions to get them to laugh and get that true joy. If you have ideas or songs that you know your child will love, I'd love to hear them. I always say that planning to get a special treat after the session is good bribery encouragement. :)

If anything, dads often have the hardest time with that natural smile.